Friday 30 November 2007

Homophobia is Gay

This thursday (29th Nov) I went on the 'Homophobia is Gay' bar crawl. This is an event run jointly by both the LGBTQ and Libdem society. I went on it last year and it was good. This year was good too but there was one small hiccup that is bugging me.

The bar crawl started at the university bar and then recommenced in town, so to get there you have to take the bus. I was with a small group of us, and we got on the bus and sat on the to deck. Near the back was a group of 4 young white guys (i.e. chavs).

When these guys were going to get off the bus, obviously they went down the stairs. And while doing so shouted "gays!" which, of course, was to the dissapproval of the group. One girl said something back, I can't remember what, but a couple more not so witty insults were thrown by one of these guys until (when the bus was stopped for them to get off) he came halfway up the stairs, leaned over the side and spat at her, then ran off the bus with his 'pals'.

This is a blatant homophobic hate crime. I want him to be held responsible, but have no idea what could possibly be done apart from a feeble complaint to the police?
I don't see how he could be caught, unless I knew maybe the registration number of the bus we were on, which is a definate no.

Homophobia is gay. It's disgusting that people do things like this guy nowadays.

~Alex

No comments: